Sciatica is a common issue that affects millions of Americans. It causes intense pain and discomfort that can become debilitating. It is important to seek treatment for this condition. At ChiroCare in North Greenbush, NY, we can help. Our chiropractor, Dr. Denison J. Stone, provides natural treatments for sciatica in addition to other chiropractic care methods.
What Is Sciatic Nerve Pain?
The sciatic nerve is thick and long, and it runs from the lower back through the hips and buttocks and finally down each leg. When this nerve is compressed, inflamed, irritated, or pinched in some way, it is known as sciatic nerve pain or sciatica.
Symptoms of Sciatica
The most common sign of sciatica is when you feel pain from the lower back down the back of your leg. It can be anything from a mild ache to intense pain. It is also sometimes described as a burning sensation. Typically, it only occurs on one side of the body, but it can occur on both in some cases. If you feel any strange sensations of pain, Dr. Stone can determine if it is due to sciatica or another issue.
Causes of Sciatica
Sciatica is caused by a number of things, often due to some sort of injury or spinal shift. When the spine is not moving properly or discs between the joints slip, pressure is often put on your nerves and muscles. Any unnatural, repetitive, or swift movement, as well as many medical conditions, can cause this to happen.
As sciatica can be caused by an injury, anyone can experience it. However, there are factors that increase a person's risk:
- •Age: As you age, your spine changes, making bone spurs and herniated disks more common.
- •Specific occupations: Jobs that require you to twist your back, lift and carry heavy loads, or drive for extended periods of time can lead to sciatica.
- •Diabetes: Diabetes impacts how a body uses its blood sugar, which increases the chance of inflammation and potential nerve irritation.
- •Sitting for extended periods: Sitting is considered the new "smoking" in regards to the negative effect on good health. Sitting still, such as at a desk, for long periods of time puts you at a higher risk.
- •Obesity: Carrying excess weight increases stress on the spine, causing changes that can impact the nerves.
Treatments for Sciatica
Sciatica rarely goes away on its own. If left untreated, it can possibly become a permanent issue. If you think you might be dealing with sciatica, you should make an appointment with Dr. Stone to be evaluated.
On your first visit, Dr. Stone will perform an examination, diagnose your condition and create a tailored treatment plan to meet your needs. This includes spinal manipulations, physical therapy, and, when appropriate, rehabilitative exercise. Returning the spine to normal function will alleviate any pressure on the sciatic nerve, relieving pain. Additionally, Dr. Stone will provide self-care practices and recommendations to further expedite the healing process. Following these guidelines can help prevent future issues.
Visit Our Chiropractor in North Greenbush, NY for Sciatica Relief
If you are suffering from sciatica, we can help. At ChiroCare in North Greenbush, NY, Dr. Stone will alleviate your pain and help your body heal. Call us today to schedule an evaluation.